digital, noise, utopian matters

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Unseen


Yesterday David Green I hosted the *Illustrating the Unseeable: Reconnecting Art and Science* Symposium here at the School of Art. The initial impetus for the event was a desire to find out what was happening in Dunedin in the fields of art/science collaboration. We scheduled 18 short presentations into the day in an attempt to make the synergies appear in the spaces inbetween. The day was full, challenging and consistently engaging. The level of research was fantastic and the connections formed were dynamic and definitely ongoing. I was unable to do my usual 'live blog' of the event as the multiple hats of hostess and chair were enough, and it was wonderful to immerse myself in the flow of ideas. So today I'm still processing. Here are few (very personal) impressions.

The day began with Phil Ker the COE of Otago Polytechnic talking about the importance of applied research in Polytechnics. Adopting a clear political stance, Phil commented on the continual erosion of the funding for tertiary environments, and the importance of events that actually side-stepped the funders and returned us to core values.
I then presented an introduction where I framed my own thoughts about art and electronic media by connecting Lorraine Daston's work on curiosity and wonder with the histories of media arts via a discussion of frequency, resonance, method, sense and knowledge. I strung together a series of examples that for me operated at this edge of wonder, both scientific and artistic. Our poster image was David Haines and Joyce Hinterding's EarthStar (image above) and I located this as a central work where experimental method is key, and where there is an opening up of visuality to other senses. http://www.sunvalleyresearch.net/?p=340
I ended my presentation with this statement from Lorraine Daston:
“The idea of representation [is] being thrown overboard because to visualise something is the same act as making the object itself. It no longer makes sense to talk about a nature which we then try more or less faithfully to represent. It only makes sense to talk about the creation of an object to manufacture for the very act of visualising it.”
and this work by semiconductor: http://www.semiconductorfilms.com/root/Magnetic_Movie/Magnetic.htm

We then moved onto our first set of short presentations.

(photos of presenters by Max Bellamy)