digital, noise, utopian matters

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

moving house and sharing widely

Things have been a bit quiet here as I work up an online presence over on wordpress.
It will be ready soon, but first I want to work out how to embedd some sample teaching materials, as well as thinking about the share, share widely resarch projects by Trebor Scholz. I'm beginning to make a connection between this project for the GCTLT and the SHrUB research project I have been doing with Rachel Gillies and Pam McKinley. (Well, they have been doing it all really, but I have been watching very closely.) Anyway my contributions for today also come via Trudy Lane, as Trudy and I are co-chairing the first LEF Aotearoa (Leonardo Education Forum) fourm at the ADA conference in a few weeks so there are some really nice convergences happening here. http://symposium09.aotearoadigitalarts.org.nz/


Share, share widely – Trebor Scholz & Tom Leonhardt
Started in 2004, sharewidely is an application of The Distributed Learning Project in the field of new media research. The tool enables open knowledge exchange in new media research and production. Individuals as well as groups of researchers and self-learners can create, share, edit, find, and re-use content related to media art. The project is for all who are engaged in media art and theory. more ...

Thoughtmesh – Jon Ippolito
ThoughtMesh generates tags to connect scholarly essays published on different Web sites.


What I like about both these initiatives is that they are coming from teachers, and practitioners of digital media. So they are coming from those who are engaged daily with students. But more significantly these projects are driven by a philosophy that is critical about the tools/ softwares and hardwares that we engage everyday. The ubiquitous nature of media processes must be acknowledged in any engagement with these materials. It is this directness and commitment unpredictability that I want to capture in whatever system I engage with in these networked forums. I am suspicious of any quick fix or single solution. Even open source solutions come with their own politics.