digital, noise, utopian matters

Sunday, November 11, 2007

why blog?

Ok, so I decided that I needed to do this to find out what it did. What have I found? It is not possible to listen to a lecture with my laptop on my lap. When people have their laptops open in lecture theatres they are checking email and doing other things. I have discovered it can be a productive space. So to blog it is necessary to first listen, then take notes, then think, and then write. it is a long process. It takes time. But what does it do to the information? I'm finding that an invisible audience determines my adherence to the material I am listening to. The best blogs out there form opinions and reflect on these opinions - simultaneously. I have not yet learnt how to do this. My experience of the blog is much like my experience of prague. It is like standing on the street lost, looking at the place on the map where you should be without being able to match it up to where you are. The image of the map takes over and the need to match the city to the map dominates. The map does not tell the truth in this city. It is better to just keep walking and walk yourself out of the lost space into another space. This is also not quite the space of the flaneur. This is not my city that I might pretend to navigate. And the blog is the same, it is an artifice: a map of some thoughts that potentially do not need to be mapped. Should what goes on at a conference be left within the walls of the conference hall? The images screened are now snapped. We photograph powerpoints for revision. Does this mean that I stop thinking about what I am hearing, here and now and instead think about how it fits to the map I have?
So I have pages of notes that I intend to blog. but will I? and what will happen to that information when I do blog it. Will I remember it more than usual?
The blog is the death of the meme.
Here is the flying chair from yesterday.